Friday, November 30, 2007

But I don't want it!

I'm rather curious as to how the 'give presents to your supporters' gig got started. I really don't need any more return address labels, thank you. I move around so much that half the time they're not even applicable. It's just more paper that I have to find a use for or throw out. If I contribute to a conservation group it's because I believe in the cause, not because I am interested in getting a cute stuffed polar bear/dolphin/tiger/lion/whatever. (Personally, I think the labels are worse because they are completely unsolicited. I don't have to donate a single thing to get those bad boys. They're complimentary.)
Then there are the 'suggested' donation levels. An asterisk by $40 means 'It would really help us out if you gave this much.' I got an e-mail the other day from The Wilderness Society saying, 'If you pledge at least $30 to us in somebody else's name for Christmas, we'll send that person a membership to The Wilderness Society.' And let's not forget those oh-so-popular neverending fundraisers on public television. "Any amount is OK," the commentator tells us, even as she says, "If you pledge $175 we'll send you the DVD of Celtic Woman recorded live in Dublin." So let me get this straight--you're telling me that any amount I pledge will be great, but I can't get in on these deals unless I can afford a certain amount? There's no mixed message there, surely. How many people who watch PBS can afford a $200 pledge (especially if it's monthly)? Whatever happened to being grateful for what you get?
And finally--National Wildlife Federation and all other conservation groups, are you listening?--have you ever calculated how much pollution there is associated with putting out all these fun little nametags and cutesy animals that just take up space? Neither have I, but I bet it's not negligible. My mother has hysterics every time she gets another 'thing,' usually involving a rant beginning and ending with, "Quit wasting my resources!" We contribute not because we get something in return, but because we believe in conservation. So start practicing what you preach and conserve!

2 comments:

Andi said...

They make great stickers for children! (Although I really wish mom would stop giving me hers too!)

kinetic said...

Nate got into it with Catholic Charities (he's not Catholic). However, they contacted him by phone and asked for a donation and he said he wasn't donating over the phone. They sort of harrassed him to find out how much he WOULD be willing contribute if he DID contribute...Then, they sent him a letter claiming that he had promised to give them $25, here's an envelope, pony up. There was a terse retort from Nate and now I just recycle anything they send him before he sees it. HA!