Sunday, December 16, 2007

We hates them, Preciousss, yes we does!

OK, maybe hate is too strong a word. There are legitimate uses for ORVs (like plowing a driveway or getting scientific equipment into the backcountry, or even packing out big game meat), but these can still be accomplished by legwork. Of course, if you live 2 miles from the road and can't get your car up to your house you might use a snowmobile, but that's a different story. I prefer to get things in on my back if I can. My legs don't break down in the field, but even if they do I know how to fix them (sit down for a while!). I figure that if I'm going to be an outdoorsperson, I should take all the lumps that come with that, like crawling over broken talus and granite). Some people don't feel that way, and I'm afraid I struggle sometimes not to consider those people weak. I know that many people in the older population use ORVs to get out in nature or go hunting, and while I really don't have a huge problem with that I also get frustrated. There comes a time in every man's (or woman's) life when he or she doesn't function as well as 20 years ago, but instead of acceptance they go out on ATVs. That sounds really uncharitable, I know, but having been forced to accept the reality of my situation (i.e. there are some things I'll never be able to do) I feel that others should learn to do the same. That's it for philosophy. Here are some more of my arguments.
With global warming as prevalent as it is and with gas prices so high, I don't understand the allure of snowmobiling for fun. That's like driving around in your car for fun, except ORVs are not dogged by the same sorts of regulations as cars and are dirtier. That's not to say they aren't slowly improving as far as emissions go, but if they are so great then rangers at the entrance to Yellowstone Park wouldn't complain about the exhaust fumes.
ORVs (snowmobiles in particular) are really loud. They can be heard at distances of up to 6 miles. Being out in the woods on a Sunday afternoon, I'd rather hear the silence than the whine of a snowmobile. In some cases I am out on my skis on those wintry afternoons, and have to jump out of the way of one of those machines every 5 seconds and breathe in the exhaust as it powers past. Cross-country skiing is a dying art, it would seem.
If ORV users actually stayed on designated trails rangers might not have such a problem with them. Unfortunately, a lot of drivers think an ORV gives them license to go anywhere. We are told that these people are the exception rather than the rule, but I doubt we'd hear an outcry if it weren't a problem. These vehicles can pack the ground down to 6 feet, which might not seem like a big deal except that then there are a lot of burrowing critters (besides earthworms) that can't dig down into or through the packed area. Trails are designated for a reason. Going off-trail damages a lot of habitat that can take years to undo or may never be undone. It may take a wetland 50-100 years to recover, and that's only after one event.
I have read irate letters to the editor from ORV users who claim that they don't bother wildlife at all. My junior year of college I was watching the morning news and a woman was busy saying how the bison don't mind the snowmobiles at all, while at the same time watching a video that showed 10 bison stampeding to get away from a snow machine. Sound like a contradiction?
I have mostly concentrated on snowmobiles and ATVs because they are the biggest sellers in my state, but other things such as dune buggies and air boats aren't any better; different ecosystem, same sort of damage. I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this entry, but it is my opinion; you don't have to share it. However, a lot of environmentalists feel the same way, but can't say much because the agencies they work for won't allow them to talk about anything controversial. I am under no such restrictions at the moment, so I will jump at the opportunity to express my thoughts.

No comments: